[[ recipeID=recipe-8kotyhwrh, title=Glamorgan Sausages ]]
These traditional Welsh vegetarian sausages are traditionally made with Caerphilly cheese but a good strong (preferably welsh) cheddar works well too. I like to use a 50/50 combination of the two.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 40 mins
- 100g fresh breadcrumbs + around 125g for coating
- 175g grated or crumbled cheese
- 3 eggs
- 3 leeks, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- The leaves of 3/4 springs of thyme
- A small handful of flat leafed parsley, finely chopped
- Around a cup of plain flour
- Salt & pepper
- Sauté your leeks in butter with a good pinch of salt until softened.
- In a bowl mix together the 100g breadcrumbs, mustard powder and herbs and season well with salt an pepper. Add the cheese and sautéed leeks and mix together.
- Beat the eggs in a wide rimmed bowl.
- Bringing it together with your hands, gradually add to the breadcrumb mixture just enough of the beaten egg to bring it together so that it holds a shape. Putting the remaining egg to one side.
- Using your hands roll the mixture into around 8 sausage shapes.
- Put the plain flour onto a plate or wide rimmed bowl and season with salt and pepper, and put the breadcrumbs in another.
- Next coat each sausage in breadcrumbs by first dusting with the flour, then dipping in the beaten egg, followed by coating in breadcrumbs (repeat if necessary).
- Chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes or until you’re ready to cook them.
- Preheat the oven to 180c fan.
- Melt a good knob of butter butter in a pan over a medium-high heat. When hot, add the sausages and cook until just golden on each side before transferring to a baking tray and cooking in the oven for around 20 minutes, until richly golden.
- Serve immediately. Wonderful as part of a cooked breakfast or with mashed potato or chips and baked beans (optional!).