[[ recipeID=recipe-8knerdf13, title=Aubergine Parmigiana ]]
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Total Time: 1 hours 0 mins
- 3 large aubergines, sliced (approx 1cm thick)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp tomato purée
- 2 x 400 g tins of quality plum tomatoes
- A splash of red wine vinegar
- 1 bunch of fresh basil, finely chopped (plus extra to garnish)
- 150 g Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 100 g breadcrumbs
- The leaves of a few sprigs of fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 250 g buffalo mozzarella, sliced / torn
- Add a good glug of olive oil to a large pan over a medium heat and add the garlic, onion and dried oregano. Cook until the onions are soft and beginning to colour.
- Add the tinned tomatoes and tomato purée, mashing up the tomatoes a little with a fork in the pan, stir though and simmer with a lid on for around 15 minutes, until reduced and thickened.
- Meanwhile, in a hot griddle pan (or over a bbq), grill the aubergines in batches on each side until charred (approx 2 mins each side).
- Season your tomato sauce well with sea salt, pepper and a swig of red wine vinegar, add the chopped basil and stir through.
- Preheat the oven to 190c/ gas 5.
- Spread a layer of the tomato sauce into a baking dish, followed by a sprinkling of parmesan and then a layer of the grilled aubergines. Next add another layer of the sauce, followed by a layer of mozzarella, then another layer of sauce, a sprinkling of parmesan, a layer of aubergine, then sauce, then parmesan.(Repeat these layers until you’ve used up all the ingredients but retaining some of the mozzarella and finishing with a layer of sauce and sprinkling of parmesan).
- In a bowl mix the breadcrumbs with a drizzle of olive oil and the chopped fresh oregano and then sprinkle over the top of the dish.
- Finish with a scattering of the remaining mozzarella.
- Bake for approx 30 minutes, until golden, crisp and bubbly.
- Serve and garnish with basil leaves.