Apple Rose Tarts
[[ recipeID=recipe-8kjx2t9xc, title=Apple Rose Tarts ]]
Apple Rose Tarts
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 50 mins
- Total Time: 1 hours 10 mins
- 2-3 medium sized apples
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 tbsp apricot jam
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- Pre-heat oven to 200 degrees. line a baking sheet with baking paper & set aside.
- Core the apples & slice as thinly as you can, ideally ⅛-inch each, you need approx. 60-70 slices. Place apple slices, 1 tbsp melted butter, lemon juice & salt in a bowl, toss to coat.
- Spread apples onto the baking sheet in a single layer & bake until softened, about 5-7 minutes. They should be just pliable & not at all mushy. Set aside to cool so comfortable to handle. Alternatively you can microwave on a plate covered in cling film, for approx 40- 90 seconds.
- Use 1 tbsp of the butter to grease the muffin tray, set aside, keep or turn oven on.
- On a lightly floured counter, place pastry short side facing & closest to you & roll into a L38cm x W30cm rectangle. Brush puff pastry with apricot jam & sprinkle with the coconut sugar-cinnamon-nutmeg combined mix.
- Using a knife or pizza wheel to cut pastry lengthwise into 6 strips. Each strip should be L38cm x W5cm. Working one strip at a time, dry any excess moisture, from each apple, onto kitchen roll & place 10-12 slices of apples, overlapping & peel side facing out leaving 2.5cm border of pastry along the bottom. Fold the bottom exposed pastry onto the apples leaving the apple skin & slices exposed. Using the rest of the butter, lightly brush the bottom pastry & roll pastry like a snail trying to ensure the centre of the rose is the highest point of the ‘rose’. Place in the muffin tin with the apple peel facing up. Repeat for the other 5 pastry strips.
- Bake until golden brown – about 30-40 mins rotating the muffin tin halfway through the baking process.
- Remove the apple roses from the muffin pan & place on a wire rack to let them cool for 10 minutes then dust with icing sugar & serve.
Hints & Tips
- When I’m using Sicilian un-waxed lemons I always preserve the rind in a 50/50 sugar water for future use – this will store for 8-12 weeks. The leaves can also be used in cooking dishes & on the bbq